Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day 2010

Some people would say Christmas or Thanksgiving are their favorite holidays. But I have to say that Memorial Day is actually one of my favorite holidays. Ever since I was a little girl, Memorial Day weekend has always been a wonderful time. I grew up with my mom calling it "Decoration Day" (because you decorate the graves). And every year we would walk over to the Bluffdale cemetery for the morning services. There would be a program, patriotic songs sung, the American Legion Veterans would shoot their guns followed by children scrambling to get the bullet casings, and then "Taps" would be played. We would go look at the graves of our relatives who were buried there and then we would all cross Redwood Road and head to my Grandpa and Grandma Neilson's home for a breakfast. We would spend most of the day at Grandma's house, playing with cousins, eating, etc. Many times there would be volleyball, croquet, and a BBQ.

Many times we would spend one day of the weekend going to Eureka where many of my mom's relatives are buried. The Eureka cemetery, much like the town itself, is unique and wonderful.

Now that I am grown and have children of my own, I love that
The whole gang walking to the cemetery the night before Memorial Day. Amazing how things have changed. When I was little, I remember thinking that road (2 lanes) was busy. Who would have ever thought that it would someday be a 5 lane major highway!? Thank goodness for the sidewalk.
Nate insisted on pushing the stroller all the way to the cemetery by himself.
My cousin, Amy, made these really cool grave markers. They are a really cool way to display pictures, poetry, information, etc. about the person buried there. I made some for my other grandparents as well.


My two amazing big brothers - Shawn and Jay
A typical scene on a Sunday evening - Dad drying dishes.
My 3 very handsome, funny, and amazing brothers. Shawn, Scott, and Jay.

Cousins and stuffed animals - can it get any better? (McKell, Mary, and Jaydee. Ashlee who is the ultimate stuffed animal lover was too busy "walking her cat" to take a picture.)
Scott B. and sweet little Katie
You just never know what is going to happen when the boys get together. Today's entertainment? Handstand competition! (Alex and Ian)

Miki
Forever the poser - Jordan
Getting a normal picture of Paul is rare....as seen below...

Me and Alex
What would Memorial Day be without a game of May-I?
Alex, Ben and Shawn
I sure love my sisters! Me and Miriam
Jay was very serious about defending his tetherball championship. Opponent #1 - Ian
Cousins on the trampoline - Andrew, Cayden, Gage, Mary, Jaydee, and Sadie
Very tired boys
Jay's opponent #2 - Scott B. This was quite a match! Love that form!!

3 VERY crazy girls - McKell, Heidi, and Lexi

A very tired Jordan. (Just ignore the drool)
Hmmm...A racket and a football. Quite a combination, Nate!
One of my all time favorite pictures of my beautiful niece and handsome nephew -
Angela and Brian

No comments: