Sunday, June 6, 2010

I'm a sucker for a good summer storm

Align CenterI am such a sucker for a summer storm! Ever since I was a little girl, I have loved watching the dark clouds roll over the mountains, the smell of rain in the air, and the lightning and thunder. I remember as a child we would sit on my Grandma Neilson's front porch and play the "lightning thunder game". Grandma told us that when the lightning struck, we should start counting and when the thunder crashed, that would tell us how many miles away the lightning had struck. Not sure that there is a whole lot of scientific fact to that, but it sure was fun.

Now as an adult, I still love summer storms. We had a wonderful one this evening! It was a very hot day and after a full day of family, church, etc. we came home and all of us just sat on the back patio and ate pancakes at 8:00 pm. We watched as the dark clouds came over the Oquirrh Mountains and we knew it was going to be a great storm. The lightning started and I taught my own kids the "lightning thunder game". So there I sat, in my backyard on a summer evening with my kids, and just watched a storm come. It was pure heaven!

It actually turned out to be quite a storm. We loved watching it and afterward, the kids had a great time picking up pieces of hail and jumping in the puddles. A great summer storm. I love these "ordinary, extraordinary moments" with my family.


The kids loved picking up the pieces of hail. Some were about the size of marbles!

It made it even more fun that our neighbors, the Jays, came out in their front yard as well. Their daughter, Kennedi, is a good friend of Ashlee and McKell's. They are great neighbors!
I LOVE these photos of our street! This is right after the storm ended, but the skies look amazing!

No comments: