Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mother's Day 2009

I had a wonderful Mother's Day this year. We had the girls' huge birthday bash on Saturday so I was pretty much exhausted by Sunday. But Rob and the kids made sure I was pampered, relaxed, and had a great day. On Sunday morning, we overslept so "breakfast in bed" was more like "breakfast in the bathroom while getting ready for church." Rob and the kids made me yummy french toast. We had a nice day at church. The kids sang the traditional Mother's Day songs with the primary...always a highlight for me. After church, Rob insisted that I just relax, take a nap, etc. so I did. It was a much needed rest! Rob and the kids made me a wonderful dinner. Rob is great at the BBQ grill and he made delicious steak for me along with twice-baked potatoes, rolls, asparagus, and green salad. It was absolutely wonderful! He also surprised me with 2 dozen pink roses and a new "Memory Foam" mattress for our bed to hopefully help me sleep more comfortably. I am truly blessed to have such a wonderful husband and 4...soon to be 5...beautiful children.

For me Mother's Day is for two reasons. The most common purpose is to pay tribute to our mothers and to celebrate them and honor them. But since I've become a mother, I also look at Mother's Day as a day for me to celebrate the fact that I am a mother and to reflect on the blessings that motherhood has brought me. There is no way could put into words all that I have learned from being a mother, but here are a few things my kids have taught me.

CAYDEN-As my first born child, Cayden will always hold a special spot in my heart. This past Mother's Day, I pulled him aside, gave him a hug, and told him "Thank you for making me a mom. Before you, I wasn't a mom." He beamed a little when I said that. He is my special boy and takes care of his mom.
ASHLEE-Has made me a whole different mom than I was before. She has changed me for the better and made me a lot more patient, understanding, loving, and accepting. She shows me how to love unconditionally. She is an angel sent from above and brings a true sense of Heaven into our home.
MCKELL-Helps me to be a better mother because she is always watching, observing, and looking to me as an example. She keeps me in check which is good. McKell has taught me love and compassion. She has taught me joy. And she makes me feel so good that a simple night out with me, is something that brings sheer happiness to her. She is my special little sidekick.
SADIE-Has shown me true joy and happiness. We call her our family's "sunshine" because nobody can stay in a bad mood when Sadie is around. I treasure her little kisses, hugs, "Mama", and snuggling. She is already growing up too quickly and has taught me to really take the time to put the unimportant things aside.

I am truly grateful and blessed to be a mother. It is often times overwhelming and downright discouraging. But I wouldn't trade it for anything. A friend of mine once gave me the ultimate compliment. She said, "To some women, being a mother is what they DO. But for you, being a mother is what you ARE."


2 dozen beautiful pink roses

My delicious Mother's Day dinner - steak, twice baked potatoes, salad, asparagus, and rolls.

No comments: