Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I love Memorial Day. It is truly one of my favorite holidays. Some of it is because it signals the first real holiday of summer. But mostly it is a day of family, togetherness, and remembering those who have gone before us.

As a child, I remember this holiday being very big in our family. We would head over to the Bluffdale Cemetery early in the morning for the Memorial Day services. We would then "decorate" the graves. In fact, for a long time, I thought this holiday was actually called "Decoration Day" because that's what my mom always called it. After the cemetery, we would walk across the street to my Grandpa and Grandma Neilson's home for a big extended family breakfast followed by volleyball, games, and BBQ's.

Not a whole lot has changed since I was a child. I now take my own family to the Bluffdale Cemetery early on Memorial Day. We listen to the services and are reminded of the great sacrifices that were made by those who have served our country. I love seeing the older veterans who are at the program. They have patriotism running in their blood. I honor them and thank them. I teach my own children to do the same.

We visit the graves of family and loves ones who have passed on - most of which, my children have never even met. This year after the services, we walked to my Uncle Denny's and Aunt Gloria's home for the traditional breakfast followed by visiting, volleyball, and good times. That afternoon, we headed to my parents' home down the street for a BBQ with my family.

It was another perfect Memorial Day...and let summer begin!
Sadie loved all of the flowers. She walked around smelling as many as she could...real or not

My dad sits with the veterans up in front during the program. My dad is a retired Major in the Air Force. I am so proud of him!
One of the many veterans putting on the program. True patriotism!

The firing line up. These men have been doing this program for years. The kids all scramble to find the empty bullet shells when they are done firing.
Rob and Sadie listening to the program

My Uncle Denny conducted the services.

Melanie was here from AZ which was fun. Above is her and Jay at the services.

Sadie loves these flower windmills.
She will spin them over and over and then clap and say "Yay!"

Ashlee, Brandon, and McKell. Hanging out on Grandpa's hammock at the BBQ. My girls (and I) adore Brandon. These three were all born on May 9.

My goofball brothers - Jay and Shawn

Hanging out on the lawn - Jules, Melanie, Madi, and Katie

1 comment:

Dorey said...

Such a great tradition! =) It must be nice having your parents so close. =)