Friday, May 1, 2009

Date Night

So this past week, I asked my "little" boy on a date. His school class was going to see "Earth" by Disney. Cayden was so excited to get to go. I wrote him a note asking him on an official date. His response wasn't exactly what I had expected. He was really giddy and excited, but said, "Mom, that's really weird to go on a date with your mom." At first, I was a little hurt by that, but once he told me why it was weird, I understood. Apparently, a date to him is a romantic thing. And heaven knows, romance and your mom should never be in the same sentence! I also felt it was important because Cayden has been having a little bit of a rough time lately. He and his best friend at school haven't been getting along too great and then out of the blue, his girlfriend moved. Plus the normal "growing pains" of 3rd grade...I remember them well! I picked him up and we drove to the District. He was so excited to see his classmates and teacher. He has an AWESOME teacher, Ms Anderson. She is one of "those" teachers that is just amazing. The movie was really great. Afterwards, I even let him play in the arcade. He got an extra bonus when some kid just came up and handed him a fist full of tokens. I guess this kid had to leave and had tokens left over. It made Cayden's night. After that, we headed to Applebees for dinner. Cayden requested that we sit at the bar, because he never gets to do that. So we did. It was so much fun just eating and talking with him. In the midst of the meal, his tooth even fell out! (The waiter about passed out when I asked for a t0-go cup to put it in. Apparently, he doesn't have children.) After dinner, we headed to Baskin Robbins for ice cream and then headed home. What did I learn from this experience? That I have a pretty darn awesome son. I can't believe he is already 9! He is such a smart, handsome, sweet, caring boy. I also realized that I need to do things like this with him more often!
Not to be outdone by us, Rob decided to make his night at home with the girls just as special. So he made a gourmet dinner (Thanks to Macaroni Grill boxed meals). He had fresh fruit, music, etc. He treated his girls to a very special evening. He even made homemade strawberry ice cream with them in our new Cuisinart ice cream maker and did banana splits. I am glad he made their evening special as well. What a great dad!

Rob's yummy menu for the girls.


Rob's "Dates" for the evening. Aren't they cute!

4 comments:

Brooke said...

It's been fun to read your new posts! The date night was really cute - both on your end and on Rob's end. You guys have a lot of fun as a family. :)

Jon Peacock said...

Okay, I seriously love that picture of you and Cayden!! LOVE IT.

Dave Peacock said...

That is Awesome :) love the idea.. creative, tasty, well executed.. nicely done!

Dorey said...

So sweet! I love that you both had dates. =)