Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Celebrating 80 and 50

So we had quite a weekend this past week. My Dad turned 80 and my brother, Jay, turned 50. It was quite a party weekend! We started planning things way back at the beginning of the year so we could have everything all ready for the big weekend. So this past Friday, we celebrated my wonderful father's 80th birthday. I'll write down my thoughts and feelings on him in a separate post. But I wanted to blog about the parties. We were so thrilled that 8 out of the 9 of his children were able to be here. (We missed Melanie who lives in AZ). We first went to The Cheesecake Factory, one of my dad's favorite places, for dinner with just my parents and the kids and their spouses. Following that, we had a big open house party at my parents' church building. We had invited lots of family and close friends. It was so much fun! Here are some pics. The birthday boy! Oh, if only I can look that good (and feel that good) at age 80! He is one of the best men I have ever known...and I know I"m not the only one with this sentiment.
Shawn, Heather, and me at The Cheesecake Factory
Mom, Jay and Marilyn

Marilyn, Miriam, and Miki

Bruce, Michelle, and Dad

Paul and Bruce

Scott, Tiff and Baby Nate

Marilyn and I did the tables at the church. We decided to do a different "theme" that represented Dad at each table. My dad is also known for his "Wally-isms" - favorite sayings or phrases that he often uses. We typed those up and put them on each table.
My Dad has his bachelors, master, and PhD. He went to both BYU and the UofU (although he is a true Coug fan at heart.)

Hunting has always been a big part of Dad's life. He loves the great outdoors!

Dad is a retired Major in the Air Force

A table to commemorate my parents' mission to Baltimore, MD
Dad loves to be outside in his yard and garden. (This is where I inherited it from!)

Dad was (and still is) a great baseball player. He was actually approached by the majors when he was younger to play pro baseball. He chose to serve a mission instead.

Dad loves a game of horseshoes!

The refreshment table. The kids and grandkids all helped make homemade chocolate cakes - Dad's favorite.

This is a tribute table that Michelle and Jay put together.

A tribute to Dad's amazing military service! That whole case is filled with his badges and honors.


Some of the many souveniers and momentos that Dad brought back from his many travels to different parts of the world with the military.

Dad's diplomas etc. Check out the hat - loyal to both BYU and the U.

Celebrating a wonderful life with my mom. They have been married for almost 56 years. Their love story is inspiration and something worth working towards!

Dad very rarely expresses disdain for anything (other than Barrack Obama that is.) But apparently, he hates Paige Davis from the RC Willey commercials. (I think that is hilarious.) Any time the ads come on, he has to comment on it. So my mom found an ad with her on it and Marilyn and I decided to give him a special birthday greeting from Paige Davis.

The busy kitchen helpers - Marilyn, Heather and Jordan

Some photos of dad visiting with old friends.

My oldest sister, Michelle's whole family. Baby Korbin was just born a few months ago and is THE cutest thing ever!
(Jared, Jenni, Michelle, Kyle, JuliAnn, Jason, and Korbin)

Sadie LOVES her Uncle Jay!

My cousin, Amy, and her family chatting with Scott



2 great men - Brandon and Dad


My niece, Angela, and her hubby Scott. We had to catch it on film that Scott B. was
ACTUALLY there! (Love ya Scott B!)

Some of my mom's family

This is Trouble in a BIG way! My cousin, Clint, and Shawn. These two have been getting into trouble since they were kids. Trust me, not a lot has changed.

My dad and his siblings
Denny, Dad, Larry, Bonnie and Judy. Dad is the oldest of 5.

More Trouble. Scott with my 2 cousins, Joshua and Jeremy. Again, these guys have been trouble from day one!
My handsome and very scruffy nephews, Jason and Brandon. I just love them!

My beautiful nieces, Jenni and Jules

Dad and Mom and the 2 newest Great-Grandbabies
Korbin and Braden

Sadie and her "Godmother", Madi

My sister, Marilyn and her whole family
Dad and his official birthday cake. He requested one of my mom's famous Boiled Rasin Cakes. YUM!

The whole darn gang...well, at least most of us.
This picture is a much more accurate representation of our family. Totally nuts!

Dad, Mom, Madi and Brandon

Dad and Mom with their kids (minus Mel and Miki).
Back row: Scott, Shawn, Michelle, Marilyn and Jay Front Row: Me, Dad, Mom, and Miriam


Words cannot expresss how much I love my Dad!

2 comments:

Doney Days said...

You look so gorgeous in the last photo with your dad! So I noticed one of the sayings that your dad says is "this too shall pass." My dad ALWAYS says that. Funny!

Kim said...

Man, your family ages WELL!! I cannot believe your dad is 80! He looks incredible! It was so fun to see all those pictures of your family. It brought back a lot of memories of hanging out at your house.