Friday, March 20, 2009

It's not easy being green...but it's sure fun!

Okay, so for the record, I am not Irish. Not a stitch. Definitely a mish mash of Scottish, English, Danish, etc. but no real Irish blood going through these veins. So one might wonder why St Patrick's Day is celebrated so highly at my house. The answer? I have no idea. Maybe it's because there is no major holiday for Scottish people. Maybe I like green. Most likely it's because we like to do fun things with the kids.

Every year, the St Patrick's Day Leprechaun sneaks into our house. He turns our food green, plays tricks, and even pees green in the toilet. (A definite highlight for the kids!) This year we had green pancakes with green milk. Then for their lunches, the kids got green mac and cheese, green apples, green juice, and green chocolate chip cookies. For dinner? I made homemade hot pockets with green dough. We also had green Jello, green juice, and green frosted cookies. After dinner, that sneaky leprechaun left them a surprise on the door. Green cups filled with gold chocolate nuggets, green bubbles, green pencils, and rings.

You would think that at some point I would really celebrate this holiday like the Irish and get stone cold drunk on green beer...but alas, we'll just stick to the Peacock traditions for now.

Poor Rob - He pretends to understand me and my craziness on the holidays. He even picked out his own green shirt without any prompting from me! Now that is progress! (Plus he had already been pinched numerous times by the kids before he even got out of bed, so I think that helped encourage him to wear green.)

The kids' lunchboxes

Green Macaroni and Cheese....YUM!!

The green chocolate chip cookies

Green pancakes and green milk for breakfast!

My little Irish wanna-be's! They wear uniforms to school so I had to be creative with the green. The girls got green hairbows and Cayden got a green frog sticker on his shirt.

Our green dinner - green hot pockets, Jell-o, and juice. McKell actually said to me, "Mom, I usually don't like these sandwiches, but they are MUCH better when they are green!" Amazing how a few drops of green food coloring can COMPLETELY change the whole taste of a meal! :o)

2 comments:

Anjeanette said...

Isn't it fun. I actually did a few of the same things as you. We got green pee in our toilet also....which my kids LOVE. We had green pancakes with green milk...but we had it for dinner. My kids were on track break so no fun lunches to bring to school, but I will have to try that next time. Love all your ideas. You need to post your ideas, before the actual holiday, so us mom's that need some help, can copy you. :) Come on, help a mother out.

Jenn said...

Marci,
You are so much fun, I wish that you were my mommy! :)