Thursday, February 12, 2009

Valentines Baking

I love Valentines Day. Ever since I was little, I have enjoyed this holiday. I think one of the reasons is because it means that hopefully spring is just around the corner...hopefully. As a child, I have some great Valentine memories. Making those lovely Valentine boxes every year to take to school, decorating Valentines to take to class, cinnamon hearts, etc. One of my favorite memories was "kicking Valentines." We would take Valentines to our friends or family's house, leave them on the front door and kick the door or knock and run. I'm not sure what the point was, but it was fun. I thought everyone did this for Valentines - kind of like Trick or Treating. But apparently not. Another Neilson tradition that apparently nobody else did. Too bad, I still do it with my own kids!
I also loved doing sugar cookies. So, to keep tradition, we made Valentines Sugar Cookies last night. Just me and my girls, including Sadie who was so happy to be sitting at the bar like a big girl with her own mini rolling pin and dough.

The Final Product


Today, it was time to do my treats for the kids school teachers, primary teachers, scout leaders, etc. I hadn't done these for a while, but they turned out really cute. You basically make a normal recipe of Rice Krispie Treats. I add red food coloring for fun. Then, you press them into a Tupperware funnel and dump them out and they are the shape of a Hershey Kiss! I wrapped them in plastic wrap and then made little "Hershey tags" of my own and wrapped them in foil. Just a fun little Valentine's gift.

Here's what they look like right out of the funnel mold.

And here is the final product wrapped in foil and a little tag attached.



7 comments:

Kim said...

We did the leave the valentines at the door, knock, and run too! Maybe that was a Bluffdale/ Riverton thing. I was surprised when I found out that other people didn't do that. Cute treats.

Brooke said...

Everytime I read stuff like this I can't wait to do stuff like this with my own kids. :) Sadie looks so grown up! Aaagghhh!

Anjeanette said...

Such cute ideas. Man, my family was LAME compared to yours. You guys do such fun stuff. And can you get any more domestic. Treats for everyone on Valentines......really. You are amazing.

Dorey said...

Loving the candy kiss rice crispy treats!! I'll have to try those sometime. =)

Louis said...

I just did a google search for kicking valentines. because my coworkers never heard of it. I think it was a mormon/utah kind of thing. They thought I was crazy. We had a good laugh. Enjoy the holiday. Louis, Ithaca, NY

Jenn said...

What a cute idea! I am going to have to remember this one!

Joseph and Jenny said...

Very Cute! I'll have to steal that idea for next year! I was trying to think of something easy, yet fun.