Thursday, November 12, 2009

My Veteran Daddy

You know, growing up I never really put much thought into Veterans Day. It didn't mean a whole lot to me. But now that I am older, I love this day. Not only because my oldest son was born on Veterans Day, but because I love what this holiday represents. Now that I am a mother, I appreciate even more the men and women who have served our country and continue to do so in order to protect our freedoms and protect us. One of my favorite statements is that "We are the the land of the free BECAUSE of the brave." So true.

My dad entered the US Air Force at a very young age. He spent most of his early married years serving in the military. He and my mom moved numerous times as a newly married couple and then as new parents. They were finally stationed back home in Utah and my dad continued his military service here. He was a command pilot in the Marines and served honorably for 35 years! He retired as a Major in the US Air Force.

My dad is not a man with a lot of bravado. He doesn't show off or feel the need to make himself look good. His is a quiet dignity and a quiet pride. He loves his country and served as a patriot. I am one of the youngest in my family, so I didn't experience the numerous moves to new places. I don't remember my dad leaving to go on flight missions. I was born after the Viet Nam war which is the war that he served in and flew supplies into Viet Nam and other places. But after serving in the active military, my dad also served in the Air National Guard. I remember him going to Camp Williams for his service. He always looked so handsome in his uniform. I especially loved his hat and remember wearing it quite often when he would return home.

I started to have a better understanding of my dad and his military service when I lived in Japan. I was there as a nanny for my sister and her family. My parents came to visit us while we were there and we went to a military base in Tokyo to get some groceries, eat dinner, etc. This was the first time I had seen my dad in his military atmosphere. As soon as he presented his retired military card to any member of the base, he was immediately met with a full salute and immediate respect. You could see the respect in these young solders' eyes. They saw my father and instantly had the utmost respect for him. I was in awe of this. I swelled up with pride as I saw this happen over and over again. I had never realized what this meant to my father, but I was witnessing first hand a new side of him.

Since that time, I have never viewed my dad the same. I have a whole new respect for him. He has a love of country and a love of God and a love of family like no other man I know. He is honorable. He is a patriot.

It cannot go without saying that my mother was also instrumental in all of this. I make it a point to not only admire and honor the veterans of this great nation, but I am forever grateful and amazed at the wonderful spouses and families of those who serve our country! They sacrifice so much behind the scenes and I am grateful for that.

Yesterday, on Veterans Day, my kids' school did their annual Veterans Day program. They do this every year and I am so proud and impressed that they do this! My kids have been writing letters, drawing pictures, practicing recitations, and learning songs for months in preparation for this special day.

One of the highlights of the day for me was before the program even started. I pulled up to the front of the school and my dad was walking down the sidewalk to meet me. In front of my car was another car with an elderly couple in it. There was an older woman helping her very old Veteran husband out of the car. He had a walker and was struggling to get on his feet. In typical form, my 80 year old father hurried to their car and helped. It was just an amazing moment to see these two men. They didn't know each other. They had never met. But they immediately had a bond as brothers in the military. My dad helped this wonderful veteran get on his feet, shook his hand, and helped him on his way. This is who my dad is.

The other highlight for me came during the program. At our school, they invite any veterans of the kids from the school to attend. They actually have the Veterans sit on the stage for everyone to see them and the kids sit on the floor and honor them with recitations and song. I wish I could put into words how I felt during this assembly. These little kids from Kindergarten through the 4th grade were respectful and honored these men and women who had come to their school. At one point, they performed a medley that they had put together. It was a medley of all of the songs from the 4 branches of the military. Our school director asked that the veterans please stand when their song was sung. These kids didn't just sing the song, they SANG that song with pride and appreciation. They knew every word and sang with gusto! My heart overflowed with emotion and pride when the Air Force theme was sung and my daddy stood. I looked and saw my own children looking at their wonderful grandpa with such love and admiration and they beamed with pride! I couldn't contain my emotions at all. It was a very special moment for me.

So I say thank you to my wonderful father and those like him who have served and continue to serve this great nation. I honor you and thank you.

True patriots!
Dad standing with the other members of the Air Force while they kids sang. "Nothing can stop the US Air Force!!"
A tribute wall with veterans, art work, poems, and letters.
Happy birthday Cayden and Happy Veterans Day Dad!

1 comment:

Elise said...

Yay for great veterans! I'm so glad that you wrote that about Grandpa. I have so much love and respect for him and I love getting little insights like that into who he is. I'm pretty sure we have the best family ever...we at least "put the 'fun' in dysfunctional", right?! Haha!