Monday, November 9, 2009

Mondays + Family Night = Usual Disaster

Okay, so here is my beef for the day. Keep in mind that I am not questioning Church principles or revelation or anything like that. But seriously, I really have to wonder, on a weekly basis, why MONDAY is the designated day for Family Home Evening in our church. Seriously!?

Mondays already kick my trash. We are recovering from the weekend, the kids are usually grumpy, they inevitably have homework, I am grumpy, Rob is tired from being back at work after a weekend, etc. etc. and THIS is the night we are supposed to sit together in reverence and love and learn about Gospel Principles such as kindness, service, patience, etc. SERIOUSLY!? My form of kindness, patience, and love, is just getting the kids in bed before I beat them all senseless! (which I NEVER do, but I do think about it...mostly on Mondays.)

Tonight, after an incredibly BRUTAL Monday, our lesson was on Helaman's 2,000 Warriors. I'm sure they learned something. We even took a quiz so I know they learned something. But it sure makes me wonder when what I remember is Sadie wanting to sing "Twinkle Twinkle" the whole lesson, Ashlee thinking they are the "stripping" warriors, McKell and Ashlee debating the difference between 2,000 and 3,000 warriors, everyone wanting to hold the pictures, Rob singing an opera version of "We'll bring the World His Truth" (while Sadie continued to sing "Twinkle Twinkle"), and Cayden just tolerating us all because this IS his favorite scripture story and he knows it down to the very detail. Of course, after all of that, I couldn't resist making the statement, "And do you all know WHY the warriors lived? Do you!? Because they listened to their MOTHERS!!! That's right, their MOTHERS!!! So the next time you think that Mommy is crazy and doesn't know what she is saying and you don't think you need to listen and obey, just remember that listening to your MOTHER could save your life. It worked for the "stripping" warriors!"

Don't even get me started on Sunday being the "day of rest"....

4 comments:

Cristy said...

Oh Marci-
I can relate WAY more than I should admit. I hate Mondays too! For us, it's early out day as well, which you would think would give us more time to get everything done, but it actually just gives me less time to do things in the morning, and more time for them all to drive me nuts before FHE! I love ya!

Dorey said...

I feel you sista! Especially about Sundays, the only peace we get on Sundays is when I take a nap and the kids peacefully destroy the house while Dan hangs out in his G's and watches. hahaha I'm not kidding. ;0)

Abes and Stace said...

Between your post and Dorey's comment, I am laughing my butt off!
Mondays are brutal around here too, I work at least 10 hours at the office and then by the time I pick my kids up from my mom in Draper and get home it is about 8 pm. By then I am beat and just want them in bed. Rarely do we acutally have FHE. RARELY.
But it doesn't have to be Monday, any day of the week will do as long as it gets done. I need to take my own advice.
And most Sundays I am cussing at my kids to hurry their you-know-whats to the car because we already are 20 minutes late and damnit we missed the sacrament! Plus it takes me all morning to just get the kids ready and the hubby out of bed which leaves me 2.5 minutes to throw myself together.
I think we all feel the same way!

Elise said...

Wow, that was hilarious! Really. I have so much to look forward to...hmmm....Justin also laughed hysterically. Thanks for sharing that!