Sunday, August 2, 2009

Neilson Family Reunion 2009 - Get out your KILTS!

This year, my brother, Jay did our family reunion. I get a lot of flack when it comes to my tendency to "overdo it" when it comes to things like birthday parties, etc. It must run in my family because Jay went ALL out on our reunion! He was determined to take us back to our Scottish heritage and he did a great job. On Friday night we met at my parents' home where he had magically and amazingly transformed their playground into Edinborough Castle (See above picture). It was AMAZING! We all picked out our family plaids and made our family signs for the opening ceremonies. Jay taught us all of the words, but I can't remember them. Basically, my dad did a welcome, we did a parade, we posted our family banners, and listened to Scottish music. After that, Jay surprised us again by having a real bagpiper come and play for us and explain the bagpipes. It was awesome! Following that, we learned more about our Scotish ancesters. Jay had some traditional Scottish games for the kids as well.
On Saturday morning, they all headed down to the Scottish festival in Payson. Our family didn't go, but Cayden went with my family and had a great time. We finished it off by going swimming at the Camp William's pool. It was a great reunion!
Jay, explaining some of the Scotish traditions
Our family ready to march in the parade
The offical family parade
Michelle's family
The Monsons (or the O'Blasts as they called themselves)
The Quists or as the Scottish call them - the McQuists
My brother Scott and his family. His middle name is Andrew so he felt that his family name should be the St Andrews. Trust me, this is about the only time he has ever been considered a saint!
Shawn's family - Scottish name? The McBallers.

Our fam - the McPeacocks
The bagpiper that came and played for us. She did a great job and had our Scottish hearts melting, especially when she did some of the traditional Scottish songs!
Listening to the bagpiper

Jay, helping McKell do the Saber toss
Cayden had a BLAST at the Scottish Festival! When he first got there, he saw this and HAD to try it out. I can't believe he did it!

3 comments:

LeShel said...

that is a great reunion

Brooke said...

Oh my gosh! That is crazy, but really cool! Sounds like a lot of fun. :)

Erin said...

What a great idea! Looks like loads of fun!!!