Friday, November 21, 2008

NOT feeling so grateful tonight...

So as some may know, we were supposed to be having McKell and Ashlee's tonsil/adenoid/ear tube surgery done today. We bought a freezer full of popsicles, ice cream, etc. We got all of their homework from school. We rearranged their room and rented a ton of movies as well as bought lots of coloring books, etc. Mostly, we finally got both of them somewhat okay about the whole thing. So last night, we get a phone call to let us know the time of surgery. In the phone call, it came up that Ashlee had a cough last weekend. It sounded kind of croupy, but that is just Ashlee's "allergy cough". It was fine by the next day. But apparently, the word "croup" and pending surgery is not good. I told that lady registering us that it was allergies, but she wanted to verify with the anesthesiologist. Fine. So I get a call back saying that she had talked to him and he was concerned, but if I felt okay with it and thought she was okay, then we would be fine. Super! So, we plan for it. I am out until 11:00 getting the above-mentioned post-surgery treats. We are then up until 1:30 so we can feed the girls a meal before the official pre-surgery fast begins. We arrange for someone to take Cayden after school. We arrange for Sadie. Rob takes the day off. etc. We get to the hospital, check in, get vitals, the girls get completely in their gowns etc. and we are in the process of a photo op when both the surgeon and anesthesiologist come in and drop the bomb that they are not comfortable doing surgery on Ashlee and that the policy is that they have to wait 4 weeks after any type of croup. I immediately go to the "bad place". They won't budge. Apparently, if the airway is already inflamed due to croup or a cough, then putting a breathing tube in for surgery can aggravate it more and then cause breathing problems after the surgery which obviously can be very dangerous. Okay, I can understand that. What I CANNOT understand is why on earth this was not told to me last night!? Apparently a big lack of communication occurred between the lady registering us and the doctor. McKell immediately starts crying and Ashlee jumps off the exam table and starts getting dressed and telling us she is ready to eat. Typical Ashlee. We try to make it seem like a good thing and promise they will still get ice cream and get to watch movies in their room etc. So the girls and I went to brunch on the way home which also seemed to help....them, not me. I am still furious. But hey, here is the "silver lining" of it all...the doctor said he would be happy to reschedule the surgery for a week before Christmas!

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh Marci, that sounds so frustrating! I can't imagine going to all that trouble just to have it postponed! I hope when you DO get the surgery done that it all works out well.

Anjeanette said...

Yikes, I can't be much comfort, because I would be mad too. Just want to get the dang thing done with....right? Hope you have a great Christmas.....:)

TNeilson said...

Oh, that totally sucks! Maybe we can just have a tonsil removal party all together over Christmas break. Ryan has strep again. Those things are coming out!

Brooke said...

Marci, I really don't see what the big deal is...I mean really. It was just a minor convenience, right????

:)

Doney Days said...

I am furious too! That is so annoying! Sorry! Now I know not to mention anything "croupy" if my kids are going in for surgery.

Juliann said...

It's just unbelievable - all of it!! You definitely have acquired the Kitzmiller luck. I'm so very sorry.

Stacy said...

Oh suck! That happend to me once too, the day I had to have surgery. In my gown and all. Yuck! I'm really sorry that happend!

Dorey said...

That is so annoying! Hopefully you can make the appointment for after Christmas! TTYL