Monday, November 10, 2008

May the Force Be With Me!


This past weekend we had Cayden's big 9th birthday party. He decided to do a Star Wars clone Wars party and invited over 40 kids! He has so many friends at church, school, cousins, etc. that we couldn't leave anyone out. But trust me, this was one of the biggest undertakings I have done in a while and I am the one who needed the "force" with me. We decided to make his party an official Jedi training camp. When the kids got here, they each got a Jedi uniform and badge. I made the girls white uniforms to be more Princess Leia-ish. We then had lunch including "Yoda Soda" (green punch with dry ice...they all thought this was very cool!), hot dogs, chips, and birthday cake. Needless to say, it was a NOISY bunch! Thank goodness it was decent weather outside because that is where we headed next. I made about 30 lightsabers out of swim noodles and PVC pipe. Thank goodness I have awesome neighbors and family who donated swim noodles to the cause because I couldn't find swim noodles ANYWHERE in stores this time of year! I made them all take a Jedi oath that they couldn't use their weapons for hurting others etc. or they would lose their weapons and not graduate as a true Jedi. We went outside after that and did some weapon practice. Rob had downloaded all of the Star Wars music including the "Darth Vader" theme and after the kids had practiced their lightsaber skills, Rob cranked that music from inside the house and he came out fully dressed as Darth Vader. He looked pretty darn cool and in typical Rob fashion, had the Vader voice down to a tee and really played it up. The kids thought this was pretty cool. They stood in line and each took a turn battling Darth Vader. Too funny! After that, we played "Save the planet" aka hot potato game with a planet ball. Then they had target practice where they got to shoot down different Star Wars action figures with the dart guns. We played Jedi bingo with Rob doing his freaky Yoda voice and then did the pinata. I am proud to say that they ALL passed their Jedi training and received their official Jedi diploma upon leaving. It was EXHAUSTING but so fun! I asked Cayden afterwards if he knew why I did such big parties for him? He aswered, "Because you're the BEST mom ever!" That was sweet, but I told him that the reason I do such big parties for him and his sisters is because not only is it a party for THEM to celebrate their birthday, but it is truly a celebration of me getting to be their mom!

Target Practice

Cayden battling Darth Vader

Darth Vader trying to recruit the Padowans to the dark side


The Jedi trainees and their lightsabers


Cayden blowing out his candles


Jedi Cayden

4 comments:

Jade said...

WOW! You're amazing! I love the Jedi swords- they turned out great. (sorry I couldn't help you out!) I know you're secretly going to miss the matching Mormon mini vans;) I hope you get feeling better.

Cydnee Gee said...

You definitely win Mother of the Year award in my book. For Riley's big 9 birthday party, best we did was to take 4 of his friends to see the new "Clone Wars" movie. We are such wusses, you rock!!! Wish we were still there, Riley would've LOVED it.

Dorey said...

You are such a fun and creative mom! Love the Jedi Knight theme, so cute. =) I'm glad you were able to use our water noodle even though it had about 10 chunks bitten out of it. =) TTYL

Jenny Martin said...

How much fun are you? You wanna plan my four-year-old's birthday party?