Thursday, October 23, 2008

Keep Your Expectations Low...

"Keep your expectations low"...is my montra in life. I didn't always think this way, but I came to this brilliant discovery shortly after I had kids. It sounds strange I'm sure, but let me explain. I am a person who has very specific expectations out of things. I am a recovering control freak and so I like things to go a certain way. That was all fine and good until the kids came along. They don't really care what the "plan" is. They just do whatever they want at the time and call it good. I used to get really upset about things when they didn't go exactly as planned. It really ticked me off. But then after years of having kids, I came to my brilliant motto in life - "Keep your expecations incredibly low...and then when something actually goes right or as planned, it is a very happy surprise!" I think it is great. Rob thinks it is somewhat depressing. I told my dad this last week and he just looked at me and didn't quite know what to say. At first it does sound really unpleasant, but it is quite the opposite. Otherwise, I feel you are always setting yourself up for disappointment. I'm just a realist.

Let me give you an example. This past Saturday, we went to Hee Haw Farms. Now, years ago, I would have had this beautiful image in my mind of a lovely autumn day, perfect weather, etc. And we would all go together and look like something out of a J Crew catalog and have a perfect day full of pumpkin picking, hayrides, and wonderful memories. This of course never happens, at least with us, so it would have been a big old disappointment when we showed up looking haggard. I let the girls pick out their own clothes so they looked more like models from the DI rather than J Crew. The weather was actually very nice and we did have some wonderful memories. But aside from looking pretty much a mess, we lost Ashlee numerous times, there was a big mix up on the pumpkin picking rules, there were a lot of bees, McKell was being dramatic, and I was in a lot of pain most of the time with my back. BUT because I had little or no high expectations for the day, it was no big deal. Compared to the catastrophe it could have been with 4 kids, it actually was a big success in my book. And the kids will look back at it and have great memories.

I am fortunate that my best friend, and sister-in-law, Juliann, shares this unique "view" on life. We both understand it very well.

So, wish me luck on Sunday when I, as the primary president to about 160 kids, have our primary program. Once again, my expectations are realistic. I don't expect perfection, in fact I kind of prefer it not to be perfect. Nothing like a primary age child getting to the microphone and starting to improv...sadly, it is usually one of my children. (A few years ago Ashlee had to be literally pulled from the microphone as she was yelling, "I'm not DONE YET!!") As long as a Sunbeam doesn't jump off the stand, anyone vomit, etc. I will call it a raging success. See...isn't it a great way to look at life? :o)

5 comments:

Cydnee Gee said...

You are the coolest primary president ever!! I'm a believer, I'm jumping on the low expectations bandwagon. We've sure had those outings, innings, moments, you name it!!
You're so great, I miss you.

Juliann said...

Oh Amen, Amen, Amen.

Jade said...

You're so funny. And the primary program will be great as usual, you do such a good job as Primary President.

Stacy said...

I TOTALLY AGREE! I was much the same as you at one point. Infact after my first date w/ Court, his Mom (bless her heart) told him she thought I was going to be a 'control freak' haha!
I think people are more understanding of kids screaming or kicking etc than we feel like they are. I think when it's your kid you feel like it's a bigger deal, than on lookers think. I think on lookers enjoy the entertainment most the time =)
I thik I remember the primary program your speaking of lol! I forgot about it until I read it though, promise!
I'm excited to see what this Sunday brings ;)

Jen Peacock said...

It's seems great minds think alike!