Friday, January 16, 2009

Mommy Moments

Another round of mommy moments. Just a few random thoughts on our family. Cayden has been really into chess lately, so imagine his excitement when he got the flyer from school announcing Chess Club. He was beyond ecstatic when he saw that this included 3rd graders. So yesterday, my 9 year old started chess club at school. I have to chuckle because I have never played chess in my life. I think I may have used the chess pieces in my Barbie house for decoration, but that is about the extent of it. Fortunately, Rob plays chess very well. He has been great to practice with Cayden. He doesn't let him win, which frustrates Cayden at times, but he really uses it to teach Cayden so he will get better. Cayden said he had a great time and can't wait for next week. Cayden is literally counting down the days until his best buddy, Ben, comes back from Idaho. Ben went to visit his grandparents in Idaho while he was off track. It very well may have been the longest 3 weeks of Cayden's life! Ashlee is still having a very difficult time at school. She started off SO well this year so it makes it extra hard that she has been struggling so much. She started struggling about November and it has been a rocky road since. Every day, when I pick the kids up from school, I dread the conversation with the teacher. I can honestly say that I have no idea what to do. I've wracked my brain to figure out what could be causing it - diet, sleep, medication, etc. but nothing seems to be changing the fact that she is struggling. Wish us luck! McKell is doing great at school and loves to learn. She was so excited to get an A on her rocks and minerals test. Yesterday, just very non-chalantly, she said, "Mom, did you know Mr. King?" I had no idea what she was talking about. She was irritated with me. Finally, I got out of her that she meant Martin Luther King Jr. Apparently, she and "Mr King" are tight. I told her that I wasn't alive when he was. I guess she then found me useless and went straight to Grandpa Neilson. She was fascinated that not only was Grandpa alive when "Mr King" was alive, but that he remembered the very day that he was shot. McKell has always had a special bond with Grandpa Neilson. And this only endeared him more to her. Our little Sadie is growing like a weed and has been deemed the "little weirdo" in our house. She is personality galore right now and does some of the goofiest things ever. Rob bought this "Your Baby Can Read" DVD series. He is convinced we can have her reading by the time she is 2. I just humor him. However, it is quite hilarious when we say the words like "arms up" and she does it on cue. My parents call her the trained monkey. She has also become very demanding. She can't say what she wants, so she does a lot of grunting and yelling. Oh fun! She really is such a joy and brings so much happiness and laughter to our family. We hope that baby #5 is as good of a baby as Sadie has been. I guess since this is Mommy Moments, I should also include the baby to come. I am 14 weeks along which is baffling to me. I can't believe I am already almost 4 months along! Although my jeans would definitely confirm that. The maternity clothes have made their appearance...unfortunately. I guess with #5, you show a lot earlier. The kids thing it is hysterical that I am having to do the "elastic in the jeans" trick. They're constantly fearful that my pants are going to fall down. I'm glad they are finding humor in the situation. I am still incredibly sick and very tired pretty much every day. I really need that fun stage to be over...now. So that is my mommy moment for the day.

1 comment:

Anjeanette said...

Sounds like life is still going strong for you. Love hearing about each child. That's funny about Mckell and MLK Jr.. My kids came home the other day asking the same thing. Wondering how old we were when he died. So funny. I hope your pregnancy starts to go a little better as far as the sickness goes....not fun at all. At least you have fun kids to keep your mind off of it a little bit. :)