Thursday, January 1, 2009

Mommy Moments


I'm going to try something new on the 'ol blog and write down "mommy moments". These are not anything earth shattering or huge, but just those every day things that happen in our lives. Cayden - I was so proud of him last week. He got quite a bit of money (for a 9 year old that is) for his birthday. Rob is trying to teach the kids to save money so he told him he would take him to deposit it into his savings account at the bank. He said that Cayden seemed fine with that, but then hesitated. After a few minutes, he told Rob that he had changed his mind. At first Rob thought he had decided he wanted to buy something. But instead he told Rob that he was okay putting some of his birthday money in the bank, but what he really wanted to do was give his birthday money to kids who wouldn't be getting very much for Christmas. And that is exactly what they did. He is such a sweet and caring boy.
Ashlee-Ash is unpredictable at best. We often say that the only predcitable thing about having a child with autism is the unpredictability of it. She has had a few rough days over Christmas break. Yesterday, someone had drawn on one of the new Wii remotes. Sadly, we immediately assumed it was Ashlee. When asked about it, she said with great pride, "NOPE! Not me!" and then as if she was shocked herself, "You know, I haven't made any bad choices ALL DAY!" She was so proud of herself. She also recently announced as she was playing with the Fisher Price Nativity that God had just told her that baby Jesus had a new baby brother named Eggroll. One final "Ashlee-ism". After McKell's dance recital, we were on our way home and Ashlee became very sad. I asked her what was wrong and she said, "Because Mom. I want to take dance too. You know, it is REALLY boring just being a NORMAL person!" We'll be calling the dance studio on Monday.
McKell - McKell is SO insightful and we can't get much past her. She is very intuitive. She is also brutally honest. My self esteem has to be pretty solid when McKell gets into one of her 'observant" moments. She never says anything to be mean, just honest. She was looking at my wedding photo this week and matter-of-factly said, "Mom, I think you were much better when you got married." I asked her why and she said, "Because you weren't exhausted all the time, you had bangs, and you were a little prettier." Yes, 4 kids and 13 years ago, I'm sure I was all of that.
Sadie - This child cracks me up all the time. For the past little bit, she does the "Back up Truck" move. Instead of just coming and sitting on your lap on the floor or on a little stool etc. she has to back up like a dump truck. Rob and I now start doing the "beep beep beep" like the sound the garbage truck makes any time she starts "backing herself up" to have a seat. It is hilarious. She also has a fascination with boxes and loves nothing more than to find boxes to sit on, stand on, push around, etc. Our future UPS delivery girl!








4 comments:

Brooke said...

It's been fun to read your catch-up posts! Your kids are so cute. I like the "Mommy momments". :)

Stacy said...

Cute! Marci you are seriously the best Mom! I love hearing your stories, and your kids are adorable! You make me laugh with EVERY post! Love it!

Anjeanette said...

That is so fun to hear. We all have those "mommy" moments, and it's great you are writing them down. I need to be better about writing them down so I remember them. Sounds like you have good kids that YOU have taught well. And yes, after that many years of marriage and kids, I think we all use to be a little prettier and less exhausted.....:) If we weren't, I don't think we would be doing our jobs right.

Kim said...

Marci- Your blog is so cute! I love your little Ashlee already. You did look pretty dang good on your wedding day. LOL. I just started a blog as well. check it out. I put you on my list- I'll be checking in!