Friday, June 5, 2009

My poor children..the last day of school


Some Teacher gifts I did

The things we inherit from our parents are so interesting. Some of the positives that I inherited from my parents are my dad's good hair, my mom's cooking (almost), my dad's love to garden and be outside, and my mom's tenacity, etc. The negatives that I inherited are my mom's varicose veins, my dad's horrible teeth, my mom's struggle with change, my dad's joints, etc.

It is interesting to see what things my kids inherit from me and Rob. They are pretty much sunk when it comes to any hope of having good teeth. I think they are pretty darn smart. They love the outdoors. And each of them has individual things that they have inherited from us.

Unfortunately, I discovered yesterday, that they all have inherited my total and complete sappiness, sentimentality, and loathing for endings and change.

Yesterday was the last day of school. Most kids are jumping for joy and counting down the hours for this blessed day. My kids have been excited, but on the actual day, reality hits. I picked them up from school yesterday, they gave their teachers the gifts we had done, said their goodbyes and we headed home. We weren't home for more than a few hours when it began. First it was Cayden. He went up to his room and when I walked by, I could hear him crying. I went and asked what was wrong, and he was just so distraught because he was going to miss his teacher so much. I had to give him full credit on this one because his teacher, Miss Anderson, has been stellar! She is one of those special teachers that you just never want to leave. It broke my heart that he was so sad and so upset. This lasted pretty much all through the night. He is at that stage where he is a big kid, 9 years old, so he doesn't want to cry, but sometimes can't hold it back. McKell had her moments of sadness at the thoughts of leaving 1st grade and her teacher, Mrs Stoll. Another great teacher. Apparently, she didn't even wait until we got home, she was teary eyed and sad at school. Even Ashlee, who has been literally counting down the days until school was out, was struggling. She didn't cry or get upset. But she came to me at one point and told me how sad she was and how much she was going to miss Mrs Riches and Miss Matheson and that she didn't want a new teacher next year! (I know the feeling was mutual, as her teacher, Mrs. Riches, was really struggling saying goodbye to Ash yesterday as well. She has been an angel on earth to Ashlee this year. We will definitely miss her!)

I guess I should look at the positives in this. They all obviously love school. They all love to learn. And they have all been blessed with incredible and amazing teachers this year. Hopefully they will inherit a little bit of my sentimentality and a little of Rob's total lack of it. That should be a good balance.

No comments: