Tuesday, June 2, 2009

2009 Dance Recital...part 1...the storm.

We had Ashlee & McKell's big end of the year dance recital last night. They have been working since January on their 2 numbers to perform. It was our first spring recital since starting the girls in dance and we were so excited. It was an EXHAUSTING day having to have the girls at the amphitheater in the morning for rehearsal, then back over to school, then back home to do hair, make up, dressed etc. I was ready to call it a day by 3:00!

Thankfully, Rob went straight to the amphitheater straight from work to get us seats. (I will address the drama of this situation later.)

Ashlee & McKell looked so beautiful in their dance costumes. Beautiful layered lavendar dresses with tiaras. I pulled out my old bendy curlers from my college days to get their hair extra curly and it looked darling.

They were both nervous but excited to dance. Ashlee was particularly nervous that she would be too "shy" to do it. But we talked about it a lot and assured her that she would do great! My parents even came which made it extra special. Sadie was a complete mess by the time it started. Poor thing was just exhausted after the day we had!

The concert started, everything was going okay. We even got a free air show. Because it is "Air Force Week" here in Utah, they were doing flyovers for the Bees game and we got to see it as well. It was pretty cool!!
But then the storm rolled in. We were in an outdoor amphitheater and were praying the whole time that the storm would wait until the show was over. Unfortunately, we only made it to about the 15th performance...out of 50. They took most of the dancers backstage where it was covered. Ashlee & McKell wanted to stay with us. First came the winds, then the lightning and thunder, and then the RAIN. Wow, what a downpour! It was like the heavens opened up and poured down on us. I was trying to keep the girls and Cayden dry, meanwhile, I was getting completely soaked. We finally decided to send my parents home, get the girls backstage, and get Sadie and Cayden in the car. It was quite a production trying to make sure we had everything...I still don't know if we got it all. And we all ran our separate ways...in this horrible awful storm.

The backstage of the theater was a sad sight. Lots of wet parents, frantic teachers and adults, and a lot of sad and crying little girls wanting to perform. It was heartbreaking. Fortunately, my girls got to perform 1 of their numbers right before the storm hit. They did great! One of the other dancers stepped on Ashlee's ballet shoe and it fell off. I was terrified of what she would do, but she quickly put it back on and went on with the dance. I was so proud. McKell looked so beautiful and graceful and really knew all of the dance. Ashlee didn't know most of it, or was distracted by everything that was going on, but she did it. If you would have told me a few years ago that my Ashlee would be dancing in a dance recital, I would have told you that you were nuts. We were very proud of our girls.

So, the recital was finally called off. I took my two wet, sad, and cold little girls home. We still stopped for ice cream which seemed to help. The recital is rescheduled for next Tuesday. Please pray for good weather!
I am so happy that I was able to get these beautiful pictures of the girls before the recital. They both looked so beautiful and were so thrilled to be all dressed up in their costumes.





2 comments:

Family Days said...

Such cute pictures of such cute girls!

Kim said...

Wow! What an adventure! They look so cute in their costumes. I hope the rescheduled recital goes well! BTW, Marci- you need to slow down and take it easy!! (I saw your last facebook update)